Moisturizing and sealing is ideal for naturally textured hair. Why? Because since our hair is so curled or tightly coiled, it takes much longer for the naturally produced oils (sebum) from our scalps, to get down the hair shaft. Thus, resulting in dryer hair. Daily moisturizing and sealing ensures that moisture gets put back onto the hair shaft every day, and gets sealed shut with a sealant. Here are some examples of what to look for when
looking for a sealant and a moisturizer.
· Should be water based (contain water as the main ingredient)
· Should not contain any silicones, mineral oil or petroleum
· Ingredients like glycerin and aloe vera juice are great humectants that attract moisture from the air and into your hair, thus keeping your hair moist, longer.
· Can be a butter or oil. (Butters work best on thicker strands and oils for finer strands)
· Mineral oil can in fact be an ingredient. Mineral oil works to lock moisture in and keep outside moisture out. (reducing frizz from humidity)
When to moisturize and seal?
Daily. Be sure to get into the habit of moisturizing and sealing your hair every night or every other night to ensure that your hair stays hydrated. In sections, apply your moisturizer then apply your sealant over top. You will notice that the hair stays and looks more hydrated and alive instead of dry and dead.
Just keep it simple. Water kept in a store bought spray bottle will work great as a moisturizer, and your choice of an oil or butter to seal with will help keep moisture in, leaving your hair feeling softer for longer.
Start your daily moisturizing and sealing regimen tonight! What do you use to moisturize and seal?